Home Agency News Guterres calls for international help for Myanmar, ending brutal civil conflict

Guterres calls for international help for Myanmar, ending brutal civil conflict

Spread the love

Guterres calls for international help for Myanmar, ending brutal civil conflict

United Nations: While appealing for international help to quake-ravaged Myanmar, Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called for transforming the “tragic moment” into an opportunity to end the brutal civil conflict.

 

 

 

 

He asked the international community to immediately step up vitally needed funding to match the scale of this crisis.

 

And to the government and people of Myanmar, he said, “as they unite in grief, it’s also time to unite behind a political solution to end the brutal conflict”.

 

“There must be an end to the violence and human rights violations across the country and a pathway for democracy to take root,” he said while speaking to reporters at the UN on Thursday.

 

Guterres announced that he was rushing Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher to Myanmar and his Special Envoy Julie Bishop will visit the country “to reinforce our commitment to peace and dialogue”.

 

India had already launched “Operation Brahma” immediately after the earthquake, flying relief supplies and personnel to Myanmar, which was the epicentre of the March 28 earthquake.

 

Guterres said, “The death toll is now 3,000 and climbing – with thousands injured, and many trapped under the rubble. This disaster has laid bare the deeper vulnerabilities facing people throughout the country,” he said.

 

He added that as communities across Myanmar unite in grief, it’s also time to unite behind a political solution to end the brutal conflict.

 

Welcoming the temporary ceasefire between the military government and the rebels in the civil war, he said, “This is essential to help aid flow and let rescuers do their jobs. But an end to fighting must quickly lead to a beginning of a serious political dialogue and the release of political prisoners.”

 

He said that the ceasefire should lead to an inclusive political process where all the people of Myanmar feel represented.

 

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said that the quake has affected more than 17 million people.

 

Myanmar is ruled by the military, which overthrew the democratically elected government in 2021.

 

The regime has not been recognised and the representatives of the civilian government continue to hold Myanmar’s seat at the UN.

 

 


Spread the love
Subscribe
Notify of

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
wpDiscuz
0
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x
Exit mobile version