Home Agency News Israel’s attorney general calls on high court to cancel dismissal of Shin...

Israel’s attorney general calls on high court to cancel dismissal of Shin Bet chief

Spread the love

Israel’s attorney general calls on high court to cancel dismissal of Shin Bet chief

Jerusalem: Israel’s Attorney General, Gali Baharav-Miara urged the country’s High Court of Justice to overturn the government’s decision to dismiss Ronen Bar, chief of Israel’s internal security service Shin Bet.

The Israeli government unanimously voted on March 21 to remove Bar, citing a “lack of trust,” following ongoing disagreements between him and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, but the supreme court swiftly suspended the decision until April 8, Xinhua news agency reported quoting Israel’s state-owned Kan TV News.

 

In her response to the high court petitions from opposition factions in the Israeli parliament, Baharav-Miara argued that the dismissal was fundamentally flawed and tainted by Netanyahu’s personal conflicts of interest.

 

These included the ongoing criminal investigations against Netanyahu’s associates, which she claimed undermined the impartiality of the dismissal decision.

 

Earlier this week, two of Netanyahu’s aides were arrested as part of an investigation known as “Qatar-Gate,” which examines alleged business ties between the two aides and the Qatari government.

 

One of the suspects, Eli Feldstein, Netanyahu’s former military affairs spokesman, was indicted in a separate case last November, on suspicion of leaking classified documents to influence public opinion by suggesting that protests advocating for a hostage deal with Hamas were strengthening the group.

 

Following Baharav-Miara’s response, Netanyahu’s Likud party said that “the real conflict of interest is the connection between the attorney-general and the Shin Bet chief, whom the government unanimously decided to replace, with the two working together to create fictitious cases and use law enforcement agencies as a political tool.”

 

Meanwhile, in an open letter to the High Court of Justice on Friday, Bar said that Netanyahu had repeatedly requested that he issue an opinion citing security concerns to prevent Netanyahu’s continuous court testimony — a request Bar rejected.

 

He emphasised that the Shin Bet chief should not be a “position of trust” or a personal confidant of the prime minister but must maintain professional independence.

 

He warned against the possibility that the Shin Bet would become a secret police, saying his dismissal “send a clear message to the Shin Bet’s entire chain of command, including its next chiefs, that if they lose favor among the political echelon, their dismissal will be immediately on the table.”

 


Spread the love
Subscribe
Notify of

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
wpDiscuz
0
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x
Exit mobile version